Skip to content

Export Controlled Activities

Activities that may trigger export control issues:

In general, the export control regulations cover four main types of University activities:

  • Shipment from the United States to a foreign country of controlled physical items, such as scientific equipment, that require export licenses.
  • Transactions involving or travel to a sanctioned country or transactions involving sanctioned individuals or entities.
  • International research collaborations and/or the transfer of information related to export-controlled items, including technical data, to persons or entities outside the United States.
  • Verbal, written, electronic, or visual disclosure to, or sharing with, foreign nationals of controlled scientific and technical information related to export controlled items, even when it occurs within the United States.

If you do any of the following, you may be an exporter:

  • Teaching foreign nationals about the use or design of export-controlled equipment/tools, or related technologies.
  • Disclosing or shipping third-party controlled proprietary information to a foreign national in the U.S. (even in your own lab) or to anyone outside the U.S. as part of a research project.
  • Receiving any export-controlled information or controlled proprietary information specified in NDAs, contracts, grants, MTAs, or purchase orders.
  • Providing a service or anything of value to a sanctioned country (e.g., Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan or Syria), entity or individual from an embargoed country.
  • Exporting items by mail, FedEx, freight forwarder or by hand-carrying.